Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lab 22

Something happened to me this weekend that i thought was kind of interesting. I went to the other laundry room. usually, i would go to the third floor laundry room but instead i went to the one on first floor. i was shocked to find that the etiquette of this laundry room was much more slovenly and much less caring. People took my laundry out of the drier when it was still wet. They pulled others cloths out and strewed them around carelessly. Socks littered the floor. Now, I may be dramatizing it a bit, but my point is it wasn’t as nice. Then, I got to thinking. Could one laundry room have more social capital than the other? So I started comparing.

Laundry room A
(third floor)

  • Used by less people
  • Used only by girls
  • Closer to the dorms
  • "nicer"
Laundry Room B
(first floor)

  • Bigger
  • Used by more people
  • Used by boys and girls
  • Farther from the dorms
  • not as "nice"
Its a funny model. Even on such a small scale social capital suffers in a larger, more densely populated environment with greater diversity and more sprawl. And if it effects us in the dorms, with the laundry rooms, just imagine how its effecting the United States, or the world.


-Cynthia Cukiernik

3 comments:

  1. I experienced exactly same situation about a month ago and I totally understood you. However, since i live in first floor moore,I still use the big landaury room since it's such closer. The last line you mentioned is very important I think because the small community, stronger trust between the people and that leads to the stronger social capitalism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIs is such a good abservation, and its definetly true. living on this hall and using this laundry room is much more comfortable, and feels better than the one downstairs. it almost feels homie. next time im gonna go do my laundry im gonna do it downstairs and see how well i can connect to people from down there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting and I like the way you wrote about it! Nicely done. Great lab!!! Very insightful.

    ReplyDelete