Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lab 2


A few weeks ago i decided to go without my cell for a weekend. i was in Chicago visiting a school (Chicago institute of art). this challenge was made surprisingly easier by the fact that i was not constantly surrounded by my friends, although when i did turn on my phone at the end of the weekend i had a billion messages from people freaking out because they could not reach me. i was really at peace without my phone. i had no one to worry about except myself, and my interview. i spent a lot of my time meeting new people and talking to random strangers (safely mr milner). when my mother and i went out to eat, the restaurant manager even brought us free champagne because we were so friendly. it was nice ;p . in today's's world a cellphone is a necessity in order to reach people and to be reached. in general we are living much more hectic, busy life and it would be hard to survive without the technology we are so used to. i didn't have a hard time doing this lab it was nice to make time for myself and socialize with the people i was with in the moment and not worry as much about planning the day out or whatever. however my friends certainly didn't have the same positive reaction. because they couldn't reach me when they felt like reaching me they became extremely frustrated (i ruined their simple routine). if i was in that situation i too would be worried. I don't think i could live in todays world without a cellphone, unless no one had one....that could be interesting.

Jessica Oddono

2 comments:

  1. I really liked how you worked through this lab. Are you going to use your phone less. It sounds like you were at peace without it. Does it control you or do you control it?

    Your blog is brilliant!!!!!
    Thanks for your creativity and insight!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete